1,414 citizenship certificates granted in 2021, says MHA report

0
4


New Delhi: In 2021, a total of 1,414 citizenship certificates were issued by the authorities, including the Ministry of the Interior (BM), according to the BM’s annual report published on Monday.

According to the annual reportFrom 1 April 2021 to 31 December 2021, 1,120 certificates of citizenship were issued by section 5 registration and 294 were issued by naturalization under section 6 of the Nationality Act 1955.

The central government has delegated the granting of Indian citizenship by registration or naturalization to foreigners belonging to the Hindu, Sikh, Jain, Buddhist, Christian or Parsi communities from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan to the Collectors of 13 other districts and two Home Ministers. several states, the report reads.

With this, the collectors of 29 districts and the home ministers of 9 states were empowered to grant citizenship to the above-mentioned category of migrants. The delegation will speed up the process of granting Indian citizenship to the said category of migrants as the decision will be taken at the local level, the report reads.

Maximum number of foreigners arriving from the USA

A total of 15,24,469 foreigners visited India between April 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021.

The maximum number of foreigners who visited India during this period came from
the United States of America (4,29,860), followed by Bangladesh (2,40,554), United Kingdom (1,64,143), Canada (80,437), Nepal (52,544), Afghanistan (36,451), Australia (33,864), Germany (33,772), Portugal (32,064) and France (30,374), the report reads.

These 10 countries accounted for 74.39% of the total arrival of foreigners in the mentioned period, while the other countries accounted for 25.61% of the total incoming foreign traffic.



Read full article here

Leave a Reply