1988 road rage case: Navjot Singh Sidhu surrenders in court, sent to Patiala Central Jail


Patiala: A day after the Supreme Court sentenced him in the 1988 road rage case, Navjot Singh Sidhu arrived at the Patiala Court to surrender. After the completion of the process, Patiala Chief Judicial Magistrate Amit Malhan sent him to the Patiala Central Jail. 

Sidhu was sentenced to one year in the 34-year-old case on Thursday. After surrendering, he was taken to Mata Kaushalya Hospital for medical treatment. After the completion of his medical there, he was sent to Patiala Jail.

According to the information, on Friday morning, Punjab Additional Director General of Police Virinder Kumar made a quick tour of the jail and took stock of the security arrangements near the barracks. The top police officer was briefed about the security arrangements and underlined that there is no provision for special treatment to any prisoner, citing the jail rules. 

Officials later insisted that Kumar’s visit was routine and Sidhu would be one of several high-profile inmates at the jail. Sidhu’s arch rival Bikram Singh Majithia is also lodged in Patiala Jail.

Earlier in the day, Navjot Singh Sidhu had sought more time from the Supreme Court to surrender. However, his case could not be put up for hearing, due to which he got a setback from the court and now where he had to surrender in the Patiala Court. After surrendering Sidhu in Patiala Court, he will be medically done after the legal process.

However, former MP Dharamveer Gandhi, who returned to meet Sidhu, said that due to not reaching the registry with the local court, Sidhu has not gone to the court to surrender. Sidhu’s lawyer Abhishek Manu Singhvi had requested the Supreme Court to give a few weeks’ time to surrender due to health reasons. However, he did not get any relief from the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court on Thursday extended the sentence of Navjot Singh Sidhu in the 34-year-old road rage case in which Gurnam Singh (65) died. In 2018, Sidhu was let off with a fine of ₹1,000.

According to the prosecution, in a road rage incident in December 1988, Sidhu had thrashed Gurnam Singh. The victim was taken to the hospital where he was declared brought dead. Sidhu was acquitted by a trial court in September 1999, but in December 2006 the Punjab and Haryana High Court overturned the decision. 

The High Court convicted Sidhu and co-accused Rupinder Singh Sandhu of culpable homicide not amounting to murder, and sentenced them to three years in jail. He challenged this in the Supreme Court, which convicted Sidhu on a minor charge of causing hurt, while Sandhu was acquitted of all charges by an order in May 2018.

Meanwhile, on the one-year sentence given to him, Sidhu said that he accepts the verdict and will present himself before the ‘law’.

first published:May 20, 2022, 5:02 p.m.

Leave a Reply