6,77,000 people fled Ukraine during Russia’s ongoing offensive: UN

0
10
Kyiv (Ukraine): Kelly Clements, deputy high commissioner of the UN refugee agency, said at least 6,77,000 people have fled Ukraine in “less than a week” during Russia’s ongoing invasion.

“6,77,000 people have left Ukraine and moved to neighboring countries in less than a week. 150,000 in the last 24 hours,” Clements tweeted.

On Tuesday, the United Nations said in a statement that the agency, along with its humanitarian allies, had launched an “emergency appeal” for USD 1.7 billion to urgently provide “humanitarian assistance to people in Ukraine and refugees in neighboring countries”. .

“The United Nations estimates that 12 million people inside Ukraine will need relief and protection, while more than 4 million Ukrainian refugees may need protection and assistance in neighboring countries in the coming months,” the agency said in a statement. Is.”

Meanwhile, Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla on Tuesday informed that 60 per cent of an estimated 20,000 Indian nationals in Ukraine have left the country since the first advisory was issued by the government.

Briefing the media about the evacuation of Indians, including students, from Ukraine in the wake of Russian military operations, he said India is deeply concerned about the situation in Kharkiv and other areas which are currently in conflict zones.

“At the time we issued our first advisory, there were an estimated 20,000 Indian nationals in Ukraine. About 12,000 have left Ukraine so far, which means 60 per cent of the people have left the country. Of the remaining 40 per cent, almost half The survivors are in the conflict zone in Kharkiv and the other half have either reached the western border of Ukraine or are moving towards the western border. They are generally outside the conflict zones,” Shringla said.

First published:March 2, 2022, 12:31 am

Leave a Reply