1. While tying the Rakhi on the brother’s wrist, the sisters should face the south-west direction. At the same time, the brothers should face the north-east direction. Do not look away during this time.
2. Avoid black colored thread or Rakhi, broken Rakhi, plastic Rakhi and Rakhi with bad marks on brother’s wrist on Rakhi day. It is considered inauspicious to tie such a Rakhi on the wrist of a sibling.
3. While tying Rakhi, the brother should be seated on the generation instead of the ground. Keep a handkerchief or any clean cloth over your head. This will bring good luck to the brother. Also, after tilak, Akshat should be applied instead of broken rice on the brother’s forehead.
4. Avoid tying Rakhi during Rahu Kaal and Bhadra Kaal on Hindu festival. It is said that Rakhi’s sister also tied Rakhi on her left wrist under Bhadrakal and only after that her empire was destroyed. Since then, it has been a common practice not to associate Rakshi with a sibling during the Bhadra period.
5. The thread must consist of three threads. Red, Yellow and White. Otherwise, there should be red and yellow threads. If sandalwood is present in the thread, it will be very auspicious. If there is nothing, Kalawa can also be tied reverently.