Joaquin Phoenix teases possible ‘Joker’ sequel

0
21

The 46-year-old star is open to the idea of ​​a sequel to Todd Phillips-directed “Joker”, in which he played a younger version of the infamous DC villain. Phoenix, who has garnered much appreciation for his role as Arthur in “Joker”, recently told The Playlist that he sees the possibility of a follow-up film, People magazine reports.

Los Angeles: American actor Joaquin Phoenix, who won the Oscar for the 2019 hit film “Joker,” isn’t closing the book on his character Arthur Fleck just yet.

The 46-year-old star is open to the idea of ​​a sequel to Todd Phillips-directed “Joker”, in which he played a younger version of the infamous DC villain. Phoenix, who has garnered much appreciation for his role as Arthur in “Joker”, recently told The Playlist that he sees the possibility of a follow-up film, People magazine reports.

“I mean, I dunno. Ever since we were shooting, we started — you know, uh, that’s an interesting guy,” Phoenix said of his Joker character. “There are some things we can and do with this man [explore] ahead. But will we really? I don’t know,” he said.

Rumors of a second ‘Joker’ film have been doing the rounds for some time now, in 2019, when the film first released. In November of the same year, The Hollywood Reporter reported that a sequel was “on the way” after the original film grossed over US$1 billion.

“As the film continues to make money overseas, Phillips is in talks to reprise his role as director for the second Joker outing (he and Scott Silver, who wrote the gritty Joker screenplay, will write the follow-up), THR added.

However, no official plans for the ‘Joker’ sequel have been announced. Phoenix previously expressed interest in returning for another film as Arthur Fleck. In October 2019, the actor appeared on Popcorn with Peter Travers, where he said, “I spoke to Todd [Phillips] About what else we can do, in general, just work together, but especially, if there’s something else with the Joker that could be interesting.”

Phillips, who previously directed the “Hangover” films, shrugged off the idea of ​​a “Joker” franchise similar to his hit comedy trio. He insisted to GameSpot in 2019 that Joker was “a movie”.

“We have no plans for a sequel,” the director said.

“We made this film, I presented it to Warner Bros. as a film, it exists in its own world, that’s all. It’s not about world-building, it’s not about other versions, it’s like ‘Here’s our version of the original story, that’s all,’ he added.

While Phoenix hasn’t confirmed any plans for a “Joker” sequel, he is busy with other projects.

His most recent film, “Let’s Go,” debuted at the Telluride Film Festival in September, and he is currently filming “Disposition Blvd,” and is set to star in “Kitbag” as Napoleon Bonaparte.

ANI

First published:October 7, 2021, 11:20 am

Leave a Reply