Federer announced his intention to retire from tennis following the conclusion of the Laver Cup due to his ongoing struggle with a knee injury. This is the Fifth Laver Cup, where Team Europe is aiming for a fifth consecutive title.
The last match of Roger Federer’s career
Roger Federer will play the last match of his career on Friday in doubles. The 41-year-old Swiss is partnered with great rival Rafael Nadal. Federer had said in an interview on Tuesday that it would be an “absolute dream” to play Nadal in his final match. Federer will later be replaced by Matteo Berrettini in the singles.
Teams in the Laver Cup
Laver Cup 2022, like all editions, will feature only two teams – Team Europe and Team World. Each team has six players and is led by a captain. Team Europe is led by Bjorn Borg and Team World is captained by John McEnroe. Players are selected based on their ATP singles rankings as of the Monday following the French Open. The three are “captain’s picks” announced at the start of the 2022 US Open.
The players participating in the Laver Cup 2022 tournament are:
Team Europe – Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Stefanos Tsitsipas and Casper Ruud; Substitute – Matteo Berrettini.
Team World: Taylor Fritz, Felix Auger-Aliassime, Diego Schwartzman, Frances Tiafoe, Alex de Minaur and Jack Sock; Alternative – Tommy Paul.
Laver Cup 2022 format
1. The event consists of five sessions played over three days – September 23 (Friday) to September 25 (Sunday).
2. Both singles and doubles are best-of-three matches. In the event of a tie, the third set is a 10-point tie.
3. Each player must compete in at least one singles match during the first two days, and no player may compete in more than two singles matches in a competition. At least four of the six players must play doubles, and no doubles combination can play in more than one match, except in the Day 3 decider if the score is 12-all.
4. Laver Cup Scoring Method –
a) Friday’s matches are worth one point, Saturday’s two points and Sunday’s three points.
b) The team that reaches 13 points first wins the Laver Cup. In a 12-12 tie at the end of 24 matches, the fifth match (Decider) will be played on Sunday to determine the winner. The solution comes in doubles.
5. If only one match is required on Sunday, an exhibition match will be played after the award ceremony.
Laver Cup 2022 schedule
September 23 –
Match 1 – Singles: Casper Ruud vs Jack Sock at 17:30 IST
Match 2 – Singles: Stefanos Tsitsipas vs Diego Schwartzman at 18:50 IST
Match 3 – Singles: Andy Murray vs Alex de Minau at 11:30 PM IST
Match 4 – Doubles: Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal vs Frances Tiafoe, Jack Sock at 12:50 PM IST
September 24 –
Match 5 and 6 – Singles, 5 pm IST
Match 7 – Singles at 11:00 PM IST
Match 8 – Doubles at 23:00 IST
September 25 at 4 PM IST
Match 9 – Doubles
Match 10 – Singles
Match 11 – Singles
Match 12 – Singles
The lineups are yet to be decided. It will be announced the day before the matches.