Kolkata: A massive fire broke out in the warehouse of a chemical factory in Kaikhali area near Kolkata airport on Saturday, the first day of the new year 2022.
In this horrific fire, a large part of the chemical factory was burnt to ashes and nearby factories have also been damaged. Meanwhile, a security guard of the factory has also got burnt in this accident.
According to the police, the fire started around 11 am. There were paints, thinners and other flammable materials in the godown, due to which the fire spread rapidly. With the help of 18 fire tenders, the fire was brought under control after a lot of effort at around 2 pm. The fire was so severe that there were narrow streets, making it difficult to put out.
NDRF also had to be called
The National Disaster Relief Force (NDRF) also had to be called in to control the situation. State Fire Minister Sujit Bose also reached the spot after receiving information about the incident. Officials said that around 11 am, smoke was seen rising from the factory godown. After this the local people informed the fire department.
First five fire tenders arrived. However, the fire spread rapidly due to the inflammable material. The whole area was filled with black smoke. 18 fire tenders were sent to the spot. Fire brigade and NDRF personnel brought the fire under control. Meanwhile, after the fire, a security guard got trapped in the warehouse, due to which he died.
His body was recovered after the fire was brought under control. The name of the deceased is Kanhai Kumar Santra (52). He worked as a security guard in this factory for many years.
Mamta Banerjee took a pledge to strengthen the federal structure on TMC’s foundation day. file photo
TMC Foundation Day: Mamata Banerjee pledges to strengthen federal structure on TMC Foundation Day
Difficulty in extinguishing fire with flammable material
Witnesses said the factory had several drums filled with flammable materials. As soon as the fire started, there was an explosion with a terrible sound. Due to this, firefighters had to make a lot of effort to douse the fire.
There is an atmosphere of panic in the area due to the fire. The cause of the fire has not been disclosed yet. Firefighters estimate that the fire was caused by a short circuit. Police has started investigation. Local people also allege that there were no fire prevention and rescue arrangements in the factory.
First Published:January 1, 2022 at 8:06 pm