WHO confirms 18 attacks on health facilities in Ukraine, says director general

0
7
Kyiv (Ukraine): Amid Russia’s ongoing military operations in Ukraine, the World Health Organization (WHO) has so far confirmed 18 attacks on health facilities in Ukraine, Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday.

So far, the WHO has confirmed 18 attacks on health facilities, health workers and ambulances, including 10 deaths and 16 injuries, Tedros said at a media briefing.

“More than 2 million people have left Ukraine and WHO is supporting neighboring countries to provide health care for refugees, the majority of whom are women and children. Some of the main health challenges we see are hypothermia, and frostbite, respiratory disease, heart disease, and lack of cancer treatment, and mental health problems. WHO personnel and have been deployed to neighboring countries to provide mental health and psychosocial support,” Tedros said.

He said the organization has supplied 81 metric tonnes to the area and is working on setting up a pipeline to receive the supplies to health facilities. “Yesterday, we delivered 5 metric tons of medical supplies to Kyiv to support surgical care for 150 trauma patients and other supplies to manage a range of health conditions for 45,000 people for a month. Today more Supplies will be distributed,” he said.

First published:March 10, 2022, 12:43 am

Leave a Reply